TUNE IN: APPLE PODCASTS | STITCHER | SPOTIFY
Amazon Kindle is a great reading resource with the immersion reading feature for the Kindle and Audible. Just imagine your child being able to follow along in a Kindle book while Audible reads the text while highlighting the words. There are many accommodations you can make at home with the Amazon Kindle from large print and choosing the font text.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Over the holidays, I had a few days of quiet time to read. You know the type of reading where you lose track of time and can’t put it down until you know how it ends. That also got me thinking about how much I enjoy a good book. Books open our world to learning and growing, not to mention taking you to a different time, place, and sometimes culture. I’d hate to think that my daughter won’t find a love for books. For many months, she would only read what was required for school.
But, this last year she started reading books she was interested in. Yes, some were Minecraft books and science themes but reading is reading.
How did we spark an interest in reading? We practiced patience and encouragement. We visited bookstores. We modeled our love for reading. We were also open to the type of books she wanted to read. What was the result? Reading on the way to school, buying 3 books in a Minecraft series, and reading all 3 books over the weekend. I’ll take that win!
Are you ready to hear about the reading resources we use at home as a family?
The Amazon Kindle App, Audible App, and Kindle Readers. We have been using the Amazon Kindle app and Kindles for years, even before we knew our daughter was dyslexic.
A few of the features that we love about Amazon Kindle and Audible:
- We share books as a family.
- You can adjust the text size and the text font for easier reading on our Kindle.
- We can adjust the backlighting of the reader.
- When we listen to books at night, it helps us to get to sleep easier.
- We can carry multiple books with ease. I’m no longer (for the most part) scrolling social in carline, I’m listening to a book on Audible or reading on the Kindle.
- Audible Immersion Reading functionality allows you to read a Kindle eBook and listen to its professionally narrated Audible companion Audiobook – all at the same time. Your child can get the benefit of real-time highlighting, making Immersion Reading a valuable tool to boost reading comprehension and overall retention of content.
- Another feature that we enjoy is Whispersync for Voice allows you to continue listening to any Audible audiobook across multiple Whispersync for Voice-enabled devices without losing your place. Whispersync for Voice also allows you to switch seamlessly between listening to your audiobooks and reading their companion Kindle eBooks.
You can try Amazon Audible FREE for 30 days. Click on the image below to sign-up for your free trial today!
For a list of Kindle Edition Books with accompanying Audible Audio editions with Whispersync technology, click here, and for a list of FREE Kindle Edition books with FREE Audible Audio edition, click here.
Amazon Kindle app is free and you can download it to your devices, tablets, Android phone, iPhone, and iPads. The Amazon Kindle is a great reader that is small and lightweight. You can slide it into your purse, bookbag, or jacket pocket. There are some great features that families can enjoy and that will encourage children with dyslexia – Whispersync, immersion reading, text font, and family share. Amazon provides many ways to enjoy a book from reading a physical copy, Kindle copy, and Audible. You will have to purchase the Kindle version and Audible version to use them together, but many books allow for an add-on at a low cost for the Whispersync with Audible.
My favorite Kindles that I recommend (our family has a Kindle Fire and Kindle Paperwhite). We love them both!
DID YOU ENJOY THE SHOW?
Don’t miss an episode – subscribe via Apple Podcasts or Stitcher.
- Leave a review of the show in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below or join our amazing mom tribe in our private Facebook Group for the show, Dyslexia Mom Life Podcast Community. It’s free!
- I’d love to hear about your parenting journey and what is on your mind, how can I help. Connect with Nicole on Instagram ~ drop in my DMs to say hi and introduce yourself and your amazing dyslexic kiddo.
- Share the show with a bestie, “friends” on social, or save to Pinterest (as a bookmark to refer back to later).