TUNE IN: APPLE PODCASTS | STITCHER | SPOTIFY
Is your child struggling to learn to read? Do you feel helpless to help her and not sure what could be going on? She’s so bright and excels in other areas. How could she have a reading disability?
When our daughter was very young, we struggled to understand her. There were some words she couldn’t pronounce and there were times that she couldn’t remember how to pronounce a word. This was hard to watch as our daughter would get very frustrated and oftentimes just give up trying to talk to us or ask for something.
I remember one time she was trying to ask my mom for something to eat. She struggled to pronounce the word. My mom was determined to figure out what she was saying. So, our daughter started describing it to my mom, sweet, square, dessert ~ my mom was so excited when she figured out she wanted a chess square that they went to the kitchen and made some.
We thought for many years we were just dealing with speech articulation. But, that was not the case. It would be a few more years before we identified her dyslexia although there are screeners that we could have used earlier. Dyslexia was not on the educator’s radar and it wasn’t on ours either. Today’s episode will educate you on what signs to be aware of so you can ask questions about the underlying cause of why your child is struggling to learn to read.
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL LEARN
- Signs of dyslexia – preschool
- Signs of dyslexia – 2nd grade through high school
- Signs of dyslexia – adults
- Difficulties and strengths of dyslexia by age group
- Signs of co-existing disorders (dysgraphia, dyscalculia, dyspraxia, ADHD, and executive functioning)
- Dyslexia screener (free) ages 6-18 years old, you can take at the link below for CLDQ-R
RESOURCE LINKS MENTIONED IN THE SHOW
- Signs of Dyslexia – Yale Center for Dyslexia and Creativity
- About Sally Shaywitz, M.D.
- The Colorado Learning Disabilities Questionnaire – Reading Subscale (CLDQ-R) – Link to questionnaire
DID YOU ENJOY THE SHOW?
- Leave a review of the show in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below or join our amazing mom tribe in our private Facebook Group for the show, Dyslexia Mom Life Podcast Community. It’s free!
- I’d love to hear about your parenting journey and what is on your mind, how can I help. Connect with Nicole on Instagram ~ drop in my DMs to say hi and introduce yourself and your amazing dyslexic kiddo.
- Share the show with a bestie, “friends” on social, or save to Pinterest (as a bookmark to refer back to later).