TUNE IN: APPLE PODCASTS | STITCHER | SPOTIFY
Karl Oppenheimer is Senior Director of Kildonan’s Camp Dunnabeck. He previously served at the Kildonan School as a dorm parent, teacher, coach, admissions officer, and Dean of Students. Karl is currently an administrator at The Greenwood School.
Karl graduated from The Kildonan School in 1985 and serves as president of the alumni association. Karl is no stranger to academic struggles. He experienced considerable struggles in elementary school. He was kept after school many times in kindergarten for coloring outside the lines, he also had great difficulty learning to write the alphabet, tell time, learn the order of the calendar, and even spell his name. In 3rd grade, the school psychologist pronounced him unteachable, and a danger to society and should be “put away”.
Fortunately, Karl’s mother, an outspoken advocate for her son ordered the report destroyed and set about on a life-long mission to ensure a proper education for her son. Finally diagnosed as dyslexic in 6th grade, Karl began to make progress toward academic success and independence. When the resources provided by the public schools in Maryland failed to promise continued success, he enrolled in The Kildonan School which led to his successful completion of his life-long, once nearly abandoned dream of attending and graduating from college.
Now Karl serves as the Senior Director of Kildonan’s Camp Dunnabeck, so that he can ensure dyslexic students are provided with the best summer experience. Many students gaining more reading remediation (not to mention progress) than during the entire school year.
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL LEARN
What sets Kildonan’s Camp Dunnabeck apart from other dyslexia camps. Celebrating their 66th year providing an amazing camp experience for children with dyslexia. Campers have daily one-on-one Orton-Gillingham tutoring with time to practice what they are learning. When campers aren’t studying, campers can choose from a wide array of fun activities and weekend excursions that tap into the natural resources of the campus and the region.
LEARN MORE ABOUT Kildonan’s Camp Dunnabeck
Kildonan’s Camp Dunnabeck will be held from July 5, – August 14, 2021, in Kent, CT for dyslexic campers age 8-16.
- Kildonan’s Camp Dunnabeck Virtual Open House 2021
- Kildonan’s Camp Dunnabeck Virtual Open House April 17, 2021 – Registration
- Camp 2021 Newsletter
You can learn more about this summer’s camp at 845-373-2002 or via email at email@example.com.
DID YOU ENJOY THE SHOW?
Don’t miss an episode – subscribe via Apple Podcasts or Stitcher.
- Leave a review of the show in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below or join our amazing mom tribe in our private Facebook Group for the show, Dyslexia Mom Life Podcast Community. It’s free!
- I’d love to hear about your parenting journey and what is on your mind, how can I help. Connect with Nicole on Instagram ~ drop in my DMs to say hi and introduce yourself and your amazing dyslexic kiddo.
- Share the show with a bestie, “friends” on social, or save to Pinterest (as a bookmark to refer back to later).