TUNE IN: APPLE PODCASTS | STITCHER | SPOTIFY
advocating for your dyslexic child
When you are navigating your dyslexia parenting journey, one of your many roles as a parent will be to advocate for your child.
I teamed up with attorney and parent advocate, Ashely Barlow, to help you learn all about how to navigate your advocacy role, including when you should hire an advocate.
Ashley Barlow graduated Magna Cum Laude from Miami University with a BS in German Education (K-12) received her JD from Salmon P. Chase College of Law in 2006. In a former life, she was a German teacher in Jefferson County Public Schools and Cincinnati Public Schools, having taught nearly every grade from K to 12. She also taught Real Estate and Business Law at Miami University. Her areas of practice now include special education, family law, estate planning, and probate.
Ashley is involved in her community through her service on the State Advisory Board for Exceptional Children in Kentucky, the National Down Syndrome Advocacy Coalition at the National Down Syndrome Congress and the Education Advisory Board and the Government Affairs Committee at the Down Syndrome Association of Greater Cincinnati (past president of the Board). She participated in the Institute of Special Education at William and Mary College of Law in 2016, returning for the Alumni Track in 2017 and serving as faculty in 2020. She also holds an Advanced Advocacy Certificate from the Council of Parents Attorneys and Advocates. Ashley is also involved with many other federal and state advocacy groups.
Ashley practices state wide in Kentucky and Ohio and also operates a business to empower and inspire parents and advocates in special education, which can be found at www.ashleybarlowco.com. When not working, she is normally at the pool with her husband and two sons, one of whom has Down syndrome.
What you’ll learn from this episode
- How to advocate for your child
- What an advocate actually does for a parent and child
- When to hire an advocate
- Ashley’s best mom hack
connet with ashley
Resources mentioned in the show
- Overcoming Dyslexia, Sally Shaywitz
- The 5 Dysfunctions of a Team, Patrick Lencioni
DID YOU ENJOY THE SHOW?
Don’t miss an episode – subscribe via Apple Podcasts or Stitcher.
- Leave a review of the show in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below or join our amazing mom tribe in our private Facebook Group for the show, Dyslexia Mom Life Podcast Community. It’s free!
- I’d love to hear about your parenting journey and what is on your mind, how can I help. Connect with Nicole on Instagram ~ drop in my DMs to say hi and introduce yourself and your amazing dyslexic kiddo.
- Share the show with a bestie, “friends” on social, or save to Pinterest (as a bookmark to refer back to later).