LISTEN: Apple | Stitcher
Dyslexic Voices episodes are real stories from people who struggle with dyslexia and found a way to learn how to navigate their lives with dyslexia. Many of the special guests on the show are very successful adults. We share their stories to provide hope to you and your family and inspire you not to give up on the tough days. You got this!
Mike Jones is on the show sharing his dyslexia journey. It’s not an easy story to tell, since growing up with dyslexia can be painful and challenging for so many children. Mike wasn’t even able to spell his name in school. He started acting out when bullied by other students because he couldn’t read or write. When Mike was seven, he attended a few schools before being identified with dyslexia and his mother made the decision to homeschool Mike. She knew the public school was not able to address his differences. Homeschooling was not an easy road either. Both worked very hard to teach Mike to read. Pat created many games to make reading fun for Mike. By sharing his story, Mike hopes to bring more awareness of dyslexia to schools and communities.
Did you know that the short film, MICAL, was based on Mike’s story when he was seven years old and struggling to learn to read? When Mike was identified with dyslexia, his teachers were still unable and unwilling to help him. He couldn’t even spell his own name. Mike’s mother, Pat Jones, made the decision to learn everything she could about dyslexia, including the Orton-Gillingham (OG) approach to teaching reading. She homeschooled Mike using what she learned about OG and developed games to help him learn. Pat changed Mike’s future. Mike learned to not give up on himself. Now, Mike and his wife, Tiffany James, support families through their company, Nessy Learning. Mike has adapted his mother’s games into digital games (apps) for children to learn to read.
Resources MENTIONED IN THE SHOW
- Free Dyslexia Test (5-7 years old)
- Dyslexia Quest Screener (5-16 years old) (Cost $20)
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Nessy’s Dyslexia Books
connect with Mike and Nessy Learning
DID YOU ENJOY THE SHOW?
Don’t miss an episode – subscribe via Apple Podcasts or Stitcher.
- Leave a review of the show in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below or join our amazing mom tribe in our private Facebook Group for the show, Dyslexia Mom Life Podcast Community. It’s free!
- I’d love to hear about your parenting journey and what is on your mind, how can I help. Connect with Nicole on Instagram ~ drop in my DMs to say hi and introduce yourself and your amazing dyslexic kiddo.
- Share the show with a bestie, “friends” on social, or save to Pinterest (as a bookmark to refer back to later).