TUNE IN: APPLE PODCASTS | STITCHER | SPOTIFY
MEET ericka smith
When Ericka’s son, Kyler, transferred from a Spanish immersion school to a more traditional school program she started to notice that Kyler was struggling. Her son was doing well in math, but struggling with handwriting and reading. Ericka logged on to Google to try and find some answers, especially with her son’s handwriting.
Kyler was evaluated in first grade by a neuropsychologist and was identified with dyslexia, dysgraphia, and dyspraxia. Ericka found Kyler a tutor and a language-based school.
Kyler is now a published author. At the age of nine, Kyler wrote the book I Define Me. Kyler’s book is an autobiographical children’s book to empower students with learning differences and their parents by providing a candid peek into his life. The City Lifestyle Atlanta featured Kyler and his book.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL LEARN
- Ericka’s parenting dyslexia journey
- How Google was her best friend during the process
- Midline – what to watch for in your child
- Occupational therapy helped her son
- Importance of routines
- Advice for other moms raising dyslexic children
- Shares her son’s strengths and gifts
REFERENCES MENTIONED IN EPISODE
- International Dyslexia Association
- The Howard School
- I Define Me Book
- National Council for Learning Disabilities
DID YOU ENJOY THE SHOW?
- Leave a review of the show in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below or join our amazing mom tribe in our private Facebook Group for the show, Dyslexia Mom Life Podcast Community. It’s free!
- I’d love to hear about your parenting journey and what is on your mind, how can I help. Connect with Nicole on Instagram ~ drop in my DMs to say hi and introduce yourself and your amazing dyslexic kiddo.
- Share the show with a bestie, “friends” on social, or save to Pinterest (as a bookmark to refer back to later).