TUNE IN: APPLE PODCASTS | STITCHER | SPOTIFY
MEET Dawn Wickett-Swirczek
Dawn is a Texas mom to 11-year-old fraternal twins. She knows first-hand how it feels to struggle to learn to read, Dawn is dyslexic. But, it was still hard to watch her daughter struggle as early as kindergarten and to watch her anxiety continue to grow with the meltdowns her daughter was experiencing. When her daughter was identified with dyslexia, dysgraphia, and dyscalculia, the remediation work began with a reading tutor three days a week and crossing the midline specialist. Then, a few years later her daughter was also identified as gifted.
Listen to the episode to learn first-hand from Dawn’s mom dyslexia journey.
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL LEARN
- Dawn’s personal dyslexia experience
- The multi-tier approach used by public schools – where she was encouraged to continue “monitoring” her daughter’s progress, or lack of progress
- Her daughter’s signs of dyslexia, identification, and remediation
- Crossing the midline
- Making your child’s mental health, self-esteem, a priority on day one
- How to incorporate your child’s strengths and gifts into her daily lives (check out Dawn’s daughter’s amazing artwork below)
- Advice for other moms on this dyslexia journey
- Self-care practice
DID YOU ENJOY THE SHOW?
- Leave a review of the show in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below or join our amazing mom tribe in our private Facebook Group for the show, Dyslexia Mom Life Podcast Community. It’s free!
- I’d love to hear about your parenting journey and what is on your mind, how can I help. Connect with Nicole on Instagram ~ drop in my DMs to say hi and introduce yourself and your amazing dyslexic kiddo.
- Share the show with a bestie, “friends” on social, or save to Pinterest (as a bookmark to refer back to later).