I remember the day we learned our daughter was dyslexic (specific learning disability is what the IEP read). I was anxious to know why she was struggling to learn to read. To this day, I can recall the room, the people who were present, and the way I felt sitting in the meeting. I left the meeting feeling even more alone than before we went to the meeting.
There is an overall lack of awareness in our communities and families. Parenting a child with dyslexia is so isolating and overwhelming, especially when you first find out your child is dyslexic.
You may feel isolated and alone, but I found that the dyslexia community is an amazing support group. There are so many wonderful moms, who are eager to help and support other moms.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL LEARN
This episode shares ways you can find or create your own dyslexia mom tribe (aka support groups). There are 3 types of dyslexia mom tribes you can join (1) private Facebook groups, (2) dyslexia parenting community, and (3) create your own mom tribe using social media and local mom groups to connect with other moms
RESOURCE LINKS FROM THE SHOW
- Private Facebook Groups
- International Dyslexia Association – Connect with local IDA branches
- Dyslexia Mom Life Podcast Community
- Decoding (Your State), for example, Decoding Dyslexia Georgia
- Homeschooling with Dyslexia
2. Dyslexia Parenting Community
- Mastering Dyslexia Community with Jen Woodward, Episode 28 (Parenting Dyslexic Children)
- Homeschooling with Dyslexia with Marianne Sunderland offers a membership community, Beyond the Box Learning, with monthly expert talks, homeschooling success stories, and Live Q& A with Marianne.
- Differently Wired Club with Debbie Reber (opens a few times a year) – Debbie is also the author of the book Differently Wired. Debbie refers to kids as “differently wired” who have neurodifferences such as ADHD, giftedness, autism, learning disorders, and anxiety, as well as those with no formal diagnosis.
3. Create Your Own Tribe
- Connect with another mom (raising a child with dyslexia) at your child’s school
- Connect with a mom in a Facebook dyslexia group – start chatting in messenger and see where it goes from there
- Connect with a mom on IG. You can follow hashtags #dyslexia #dyslexiamom to find other like minded moms to follow. Send her a DM and start chatting. I have met some amazing guests for the podcast this way and some amazing moms!
- Be proactive! Engage in posts with people you believe have similar values, but also someone that you feel a connection with.
DYSLEXIA MOM LIFE PODCAST FACEBOOK COMMUNITY
Join our Facebook community, Dyslexia Mom Life Podcast Community, to continue the conversation, connect with other moms, and enjoy our resources.
SUBSCRIBE & REVIEW ON ITUNES
Are you subscribed to the show yet? If you’re not, be sure and do that today. I don’t want you to miss an episode or bonus, and if you aren’t subscribed, there’s a good chance you’ll miss out on those. Click here to subscribe in iTunes!
It would also really help me out if you would take a minute to leave a rating and review over on iTunes, so I can broaden my reach and my ability to help more moms. It’s really easy too! Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review.” Let me know what your favorite topic and show! I’d love your feedback on topics you’re interested in for future episodes, and love hearing your overall thoughts on the show. Thank you! We are so glad you are here!