MEET Dawn Wickett-Swirczek
Dawn is a Texas mom to 11-year-old fraternal twins. She knows first-hand how it feels to struggle to learn to read, Dawn is dyslexic. But, it was still hard to watch her daughter struggle as early as kindergarten and to watch her anxiety continue to grow with the meltdowns her daughter was experiencing. When her daughter was identified with dyslexia, dysgraphia, and dyscalculia, the remediation work began with a reading tutor three days a week and crossing the midline specialist. Then, a few years later her daughter was also identified as gifted.
Listen to the episode to learn first-hand from Dawn’s mom dyslexia journey.
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL LEARN
- Dawn’s personal dyslexia experience
- The multi-tier approach used by public schools – where she was encouraged to continue “monitoring” her daughter’s progress, or lack of progress
- Her daughter’s signs of dyslexia, identification, and remediation
- Crossing the midline
- Making your child’s mental health, self-esteem, a priority on day one
- How to incorporate your child’s strengths and gifts into her daily lives (check out Dawn’s daughter’s amazing artwork below)
- Advice for other moms on this dyslexia journey
- Self-care practice
DYSLEXIA MOM LIFE PODCAST FACEBOOK COMMUNITY
Join our Facebook community, Dyslexia Mom Life Podcast Community, to continue the conversation, connect with other moms, and enjoy our resources.
SUBSCRIBE & REVIEW ON ITUNES
Are you subscribed to the show yet? If you’re not, be sure and do that today. I don’t want you to miss an episode or bonus, and if you aren’t subscribed, there’s a good chance you’ll miss out on those. Click here to subscribe to iTunes!
It would also really help me out if you would take a minute to leave a rating and review over on iTunes, so I can broaden my reach and my ability to help more moms. It’s really easy too! Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review.” Let me know what your favorite topic and show! I’d love your feedback on topics you’re interested in for future episodes, and love hearing your overall thoughts on the show. Thank you! We are so glad you are here!