Hey, I’m Nicole. Thanks for visiting Dyslexia Mom Life. Welcome to our community of moms supporting each other through raising children with dyslexia while finding a path to happiness.
I am the author, creator, and Mom behind Dyslexia Mom Life. We learned our daughter was dyslexic when she was in first grade. I am passionate about helping moms raise healthy, happy, and thriving dyslexic sons and daughters. Moms find me when their son or daughter is first diagnosed with dyslexia and are struggling to make sense of this new world and when they are struggling with the daily grind of raising dyslexic children. Together we laugh, cry, and figure out how to live each day intentionally.
I have a 15+ year background as an educator, school counselor, district administrator, and lawyer. With my education and various work experiences, I have a unique perspective on education, parenting, and dyslexia. (I also have a pretty accurate meter for spotting inaccurate internet posts. There are lots of misleading information on the www, as you already know!)
When I am not writing blog posts and reading the latest IG story, I love to explore with my family. We love to try local restaurants in our town and while traveling. Did I mention that we love to go anywhere with a beach? With the exception of Orlando . . . hello Disney and Universal fans!!!
Our most recent discovery is Harry Potter . . . here we are getting ready to hit Universal Studios for some Harry Potter exploring – what a fun trip!!
CURIOUS TO KNOW MORE?
or just want to kill a few more minutes waiting at soccer practice?
HERE ARE 10 MORE FACTS ABOUT ME . . .
- I am a “true” ginger (aka redhead) – yes it is true redheads are short on patience and quick to get fired up (and loyal to a fault)!
- Since I am married to a film teacher, we love to binge watch Netflix together (which at this point means an hour at night since we are censoring what we expose our 8-year-old to at this point – and she can outlast us at night . . . I think she may have been an actual night owl in her former life.).
- I decided to go to law school when I turned 30 (after a career as a teacher and school counselor).
- When we moved 65 miles for Haddie to attend a school for dyslexic students, I found out that I love podcasts! Before . . . I was like, nope I don’t want to listen to someone talk to me (when hubby would ask me to listen to his favorite show) . . now, I am like, got to let you go (when he calls me on my way home from work) so I can finish the show before I get home. Funny how life changes!
- I am a very picky eater. Yep, no salad or fruit for me. (Hmmmm, I wonder where Haddie gets her extremely picky eating habits?)
- I seem to have a habit of reading multiple books at once . . . hey, don’t judge, it just depends on my mood that day as to what I want to read.
- I adore the story of Walt Disney. What an amazing man (and is said to have been dyslexic too)! I love Walt Disney World’s customer service model – in this day there are few companies that pride themselves on putting the customer’s experience first. The downside is that I compare other amusement parks to WDW standards. (Yes, I am a Disney fan, some may say a Disney Snob!)
- I named my dogs, Jack and Sawyer, after the actors on the tv show LOST. Who knew that would be their last season?
- Music makes me feel inspired and energized! I love all types of music too. (Being married to a former DJ probably has a little bit to do with that)
- I have a confession . . . I have made a conscious effort the last few months to minimize my use of technology when at home (yes, I still love IG stories and listening to music and podcasts).